Loss is very much a part of life but that doesn’t make it any easier, which is why we have counsellors on hand to provide bereavement support.
In these very difficult and uncertain times, the bereavement team at Birmingham St Mary’s Hospice has set up a new service for bereaved individuals.
The service offers free one-to-one telephone bereavement support to those who are struggling with the loss of a loved one.
“Dealing with the loss of dad was one of the toughest things that I’ve ever experienced but with Birmingham St Mary’s support, it was made just that little bit better.” – Beth
You don’t have to be a patient or family member known to the Hospice to access this support. Support can be accessed by anybody in the community who has been bereaved no matter how the person died or how long ago this loss was.
Bereavement counselling can help in many ways:
- Offering a safe and supportive place to explore and express feelings of grief
- Adjusting to a new kind of normal
- Making some sense of the bereavement
- Working through difficult and heavy feelings
- Having space to reflect on the past, present and future without your loved one
- To explore and find helpful coping strategies
If you are struggling with the loss of a loved one, please call us using one of the numbers below. As our service is free and open to family and friends of both people who were previously cared for by the Hospice and those who weren’t, please ring the number that applies to ensure that you’re put through to the right person.
Please ring Beth or Vicky, if your loved one was not a patient of the Hospice:
- Beth Hopkins, Bereavement Counsellor: 07966 165287
- Vicky Ross, Head of Family & Carer Support Team: 07966 165193
Please give Maureen a ring, if your loved one was a patient of the Hospice:
- Maureen Smith, Bereavement Counsellor: 07966 185811
You can also email us using firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and number and somebody will get back to you.
If you are a professional and would like to refer your patient to our service, please fill out the following form.
Here is a poster you can download and print to distribute around your organisation to raise awareness of this service – Download poster