Here at Birmingham Hospice our values are vital to everything we do. From supporting patients in our Inpatient Units to our compassionate Wellbeing services, our values carry us forward in our mission to provide everyone with expert end of life care.
Our values are at the heart of everything we do as we continue in our mission to enable more people from all communities to access the care of their choice at the end of life.
Our Vision and Mission
Our Vision is a future where everyone with a life-limiting illness will live and die with dignity and in comfort.
Our Mission is to enable more people from all communities to access the care of their choice at the end of life.
We will do this by:
- Increasing our work alongside communities and partners, shaping palliative and end of life care services for the future.
- Developing evidence to inform how future services can reduce inequality of access to palliative and end of life care.
- Extending our reach to deliver personalised palliative and end of life care when and where it’s needed.
- Growing our people and resources sustainably using our assets efficiently to ensure expert palliative and end of life care is made widely available.
Our city-wide merger
In 2021, Birmingham St Mary’s and John Taylor Hospices came together to form The Hospice Charity Partnership. The two hospices had worked closely for many years to improve palliative and end of life care for more people across Birmingham and Sandwell. By coming together as one single registered charity, we are now able to offer the same standard of palliative and end of life care to all, regardless of their location.
Eighteen months on, following extensive consultation and workshops with supporters, volunteers, staff members, patients and families who use the services, we changed our name to Birmingham Hospice. Research showed supporters valued our trusted and respected heritage in the city, and this has been reflected in the new name.
Having a single, clear identity will help raise our profile and open up new opportunities to care for more people living with a terminal diagnosis.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
We are committed to making Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) part of our charity’s DNA at Birmingham Hospice.
Our EDI promise
At Birmingham Hospice we welcome everyone, no matter their age, gender, sexuality, religion, ethnicity or condition, to be able to access the care of their choice at the end of life. We are committed to ensuring our values are embedded into everything we do.
Our colleagues have the opportunity to join our dedicated Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Group where all things EDI are discussed, actioned and promoted. Its members are people from a cross-section of teams and backgrounds, representing all areas of the organisation to make sure everyone feels listened to and valued.
The hospice is a place where
- Equality, diversity and inclusion becomes everyone’s business.
- We can benefit from and celebrate the talents, skills and diverse thoughts our people provide.
- When we listen, engage, and involve people, we will seek a wide range of views and opinions as possible.
- We ensure that our diverse communities feel they can collaborate easily with us to help deliver the services they need.