Our story starts more than 150 years ago when two pioneering women founded two incredible hospices in order to care for people at the end of life. Read more about our history below.
Where John Taylor Hospice started
June 1910, the Taylor Memorial Home opens in Park Road, Sparkhill to care for a handful of female cancer patients. Named after eminent city doctor John Taylor, it then moves to Showell Green House in Sparkhill where it expands.
Our founder is commemorated
Founder of the Taylor Memorial Home, Dr Mary Darby Sturge, dies in 1924. A leading social campaigner, doctor, feminist and suffragette, she is commemorated by the opening of a memorial wing in 1925.
On the move
The home moves to The Grange in Erdington, becomes part of the NHS, and undergoes many renovations during the 1950s. In 1974, the League of Friends was set up to support the work of the Taylor Memorial Home.
Birmingham St Mary's Hospice opens
Monica Pearce, a former hospital matron, opened Birmingham St Mary’s Hospice on 10 July 1979, with support from the Archbishop and the Catholic community. It was officially opened by Princess Alexandra.
Princess Diana visited Birmingham St Mary’s Hospice on Wednesday 29 February 1984. Lots of fundraising support was generated all around the city and a Friends of St Mary’s Group was set up.
Shops and Day Centres
During the 1980s, both hospices opened up Day Centres to care for more people outside of their Inpatient Units. The first St Mary’s charity shop opened in Selly Park in June 1985 and the second in Rubery in May 1987.
A new name and Inpatient Unit
The Taylor Memorial Home is renamed John Taylor Hospice and continues to adapt services to meet the needs of local people. An extension to the Inpatient Unit is built, largely funded by the League of Friends.
Capital appeal transforms hospice
The Capital Development Appeal was launched in 1996 to transform Birmingham St Mary’s Hospice, raising £1.5 million. The Duchess of Gloucester reopened the refurbished hospice and extension in October 1997.
We merged in 2021
After decades of providing expert palliative and end of life care to communities across Birmingham, the two hospices merged in August 2021 to form The Hospice Charity Partnership – reaching more people who need care than ever before.
Birmingham Hospice becomes our new name
Eighteen months later, after research and consultations with supporters, patients, volunteers and colleagues, on 7 March 2023 we rebranded and became Birmingham Hospice – enabling us to raise our charity’s profile further in the city to help even more people.