Spring – 20th April to 17th June 2020 (£450)
Autumn – 14th September to 11th November 2020 (cost to be confirmed)
Cost and funding
£450 – Staff working in hospices and care homes in the UK can apply to the Wolfson Foundation (via Hospice UK) to cover part of the cost of this programme. See https://www.hospiceuk.org/what-we-offer/grants/open-grant-programmes for more details.
Eight week distance-learning course. All candidates are provided with an extensive course workbook and access to a comprehensive virtual learning site. All candidates are assigned a facilitator to support them through the course. The culmination of the course is the assessment day which is mandatory for all candidates across the sites. Light refreshments will be provided.
Who is the course recommended for?
The course is also designed to meet the needs of healthcare professionals new to specialist palliative care services who wish to establish a strong foundation of knowledge on which to build specialist knowledge and skills.
A highly respected qualification, multi-professional programme, divided into sections:
- What is palliative care and who is it for?
- Symptom issues in palliative care
- Patients with emergency conditions
- Patients in the last 48 hours of life
- Breaking bad news to patients and families
- Bereavement and support
- Common ethical issues
Please note, however, that attendance at Birmingham St Mary’s on the assessment day is mandatory. It is also recommended you carry out around 50-hours personal study but this will vary depending on previous experience of palliative care.
|Spring – 20th April 2020 – Course Launch Evening||17:30- 19:00||Birmingham St Mary’s Hospice|
|Spring – 17th June 2020 – Assessment Day||Mandatory Attendance 8:45am – 16:30pm||Birmingham St Mary’s Hospice|
|Autumn – 14 September 2020 – Course Launch Evening||17:30- 19:00||Birmingham St Mary’s Hospice|
|Autumn – 11th November 2020 – Assessment Day||Mandatory Attendance 8:45am – 16:30pm||Birmingham St Mary’s Hospice|
To book on please click the button below to download form and follow the instructions provided at the end of the form to submit your booking.
Note: Please ignore the ‘Book’ button below which takes you to our standard courses form. To book onto the Princess Alice course, you will need to download the booking form above and follow the instructions provided to return it to us – thank you.
Birmingham St Mary’s Hospice Educational Study Programme - T&Cs and further information
- For further information about our Study Days and dates of courses please telephone the Education Administrator on 0121 472 1191 ext 465.
Confirmation of Booking
- Your course reservation will only be confirmed by letter or e-mail after we have received your application form and confirmation of payment. Joining instructions will be sent out approximately two weeks in advance of the course date.
- If you are self-funding, our standard charge is £75.00 for a Full Day Study Session per person inclusive of VAT.
- Cheques should be made payable to St Mary’s Hospice (Trading) Limited and sent to the address overleaf. Please telephone for information regarding discounts for multiple bookings.
- If you wish to be invoiced please advise us on company letter headed paper. Reservations will only be accepted on receipt of payment.
The following cancellation charges apply:
- 29 + days = 40% of the course fee
- 15-28 days = 50% of the course fee
- 1-14 days = 100% of the course fee
- No Show = 100% of the course fee