SIX STEPS PROGRAMME – FREE end of life care training for Care Homes
This eight month programme of end of life care training is designed with Care Homes at the heart of it.
The Six Steps to Success End of Life Care Programme follows the Route to Success in Care Homes which is underpinned by the six steps of the pathway laid out in the National End of Life Care Strategy (2008) and more recently in the Ambitions for Palliative and End of Life Care Framework (2015).
As we continue to face this unprecedented situation, we will all have to talk more about dying and end of life care and while we appreciate this is a challenging and busy time, the Six Steps programme can help support you through the COVID-19 crisis and beyond.
Develop your End of Life ‘Champions’
At the core of the Six Steps Programme is the nomination of a Care Home Representative(s) from your team, who will be responsible for facilitating the implementation of the programme within your care home. This pivotal role is key to the success and sustainability of the programme, ensuring you improve end of life care for residents and families and give your staff new skills and increased job satisfaction.
- FREE to join (but it does require commitment from owners, managers and staff to support programme implementation and provide supportive environment for the organisational change required)
- Engaging and informative curriculum of 9 virtual training workshops* delivered via MS Teams, by an expert educator/facilitator
- Final assessment/review of portfolio
- Topics covered include:
- Discussions as the end of life approaches
- Assessment, care planning and review
- Coordination of care
- Delivery of high quality care in care homes
- Care in the last days of life
- Care after death
- Final assessment/review of portfolio
- Opportunity to network and share ideas with other participating care homes
- Provides access to local policies and further guidance
- Ongoing support and facilitation available from the Hospice’s Care Homes Team once training is complete
- Wider opportunities for all staff to attend education in end of life care including Advance Care Planning
Underpinning the programme is the North West End of Life Care Model (NHS North West Healthier Horizons, 2008). The model uses a whole systems approach for all adults with a life limiting disease regardless of age and setting, moving from recognition of need for end of life care, to care after death.
The Six Steps to Success Programme will:
- Provide training and support for all staff to provide quality end of life care
- Develop care home representative/s to be a champion for end of life care
- Support collaborative multi professional working across all settings
- Support residents wishes and preferences for their end of life care
- Reduce inappropriate hospital admissions at the end of life
- Build on the good work already present in the care home with a flexible approach
- Support the development of high quality end of life care for all residents
- Provide a focus on new skills, tools and approaches
- Aim to give increased job satisfaction and fulfilment.
- Commitment of managers, owners and matrons to support the care home representative(s) to attend all eight workshops
- Commitment from managers, owners and matrons to sustain the Six Steps to Success Programme
- Open to all homes regardless of CQC rating
- Local facilitator to lead the programme
Timetable of training
|STEPPING ON *||Throughout August|
|STEP 1: Discussions as the end of life approaches||8 September
|STEP 2: Assessment, care planning and review||7 October
|STEP 3: Co-ordination of Care||10 November
|STEP 4: Delivery of high quality care in care homes||8 December
|STEP 5: Care in the last days of life||13 January
|STEP 6: Care after death||11 February
|STEPPING OFF *||Throughout March|
* Stepping On and Stepping Off dates will be arranged with individual Care Homes
Register Your Interest
If you are interested in finding out more about how you can benefit from this exciting programme please contact Kate Palmer or Becky Brown on 0121 752 8798 or 07887 562 139 or email email@example.com